Services at Quilting Up North Quilt Shop
DROPPING OFF YOUR QUILT
Please follow these guidelines for preparing your quilt:
If you pre-washed the fabrics in your quilt top, you should pre-wash your backing fabric as well. If you do not wash your quilt top, we suggest you do not wash your backing.
- Batting and backing must be at least 3” larger than the quilt top on all sides.
- Backing must be square, properly seamed together, and pressed. If you wish us to press the backing, there is a fee of $15.
- Quilt tops should be trimmed and the edges straightened so the edges are even for loading onto the machine.
- Quilt tops should be squared and well pressed.
- Be sure the quilt top lies flat. Ripples and puffy places will not always quilt flat. Be sure that the borders do not ripple or wave.
- If the quilt is directional, pIease mark the top of the quilt top and backing clearly.
- You may choose your thread color and pattern when dropping off your quilt. If you wish to have a different thread color than we have, we will split the cost of the thread 50/50.
- In the same way, if you wish to have a pattern that I do not currently have on my longarm, we will split the cost of the pattern 50/50.
- We will trim your quilt after long-arming at no cost. If you do not want it trimmed, please let us know.
Pricing is based on the size of your quilt and complexity of the pattern.
We charge by the square inch. To figure the square inch of your quilt top, multiply the length x width= square inches. Then multiple the total square inches by the cost of the quilting you choose.
- Edge to Edge—1.65¢ – 3.5¢ per square inch*
- Large, loose edge to edge quilting: 1.65¢ per square inch
- Medium sized loose edge to edge quilting: 1.75¢ per square inch
- Large, intricate edge to edge quilting: 2.5¢ per square inch
- Medium, intricate edge to edge quilting: 3¢ per square inch
- Small edge to edge quilting: 3.5¢ per square inch
- Quilting Up North carries Warm and Natural 80/20 blend:
*There is a minimum longarm fee of $30.
If your backing has less than 3 inches per side, we will need to add a piece of scrap fabric temporarily so it can be quilted. The fee for this service is $10 per side.
If we sew your backing together for you, the fee is $25-$45, depending on the size of the backing.
Quilting Up North suggests that quilts are washed by hand or on the gentle cycle in the wash machine. If your quilt is too large for your home machine, you may need to use a commercial washer. Wash your quilt in cold water and use a mild detergent. Use the gentle cycle on your machine.
Quilting fabric is color fast so it should not run. If you are concerned, before washing, you can test the fabric by rubbing it with a clean white cotton cloth that is dampened with hot water. If the color transfers to the cloth, use a color catcher. Color catcher can be found in the laundry isle with the detergent. You could also choose to have the quilt dry cleaned.
To dry your quilt, it is alright to use your dryer for the first part of the drying cycle. Once the quilt is partially dry, we suggest you lay it flat on a drying rack to air dry the rest of the way. Remember that quilts can be very heavy when they are wet so you do not want to hang them right away to dry as it could cause some threads to break.
Do not iron your quilt because the batting in your quilt could burn.
Before you wash or dry clean your quilt you should always inspect your quilt for loose seams and threads. Always repair them before you wash or dry clean.
Terms and Conditions
All sales are final.
All items will be shipped via USPS, UPS or FedEx. A tracking number will be provided for your convenience.
Items ordered will be shipped after full payment has been received.
If for an unforeseen reason there is a concern about the merchandise purchased, please call us within 10 days of receipt to report your concern. We will make every effort to assist you and find a solution.
Quilting Up North accepts payment through PayPal. We will accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. All orders shipped within Wisconsin will be charged a 5.5% sales tax.